• +30 2382350800
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Return to: Religious Tourism

The Monastery of Panagia Bampianis in Lakka

Google Customer Rating:
User Rating:

At the foot of mount Paikon, north of the Lakka village there is the nunnery of the Dormition of the Mother of God, known as Panagia Bampiani. In the convert there is the Church of the Dormition, which was built in the year 1714, according to the inscription on the bell tower. A second date, 1888, engraved on the southern wall, marks the time when repair work was performed. The church is a tree-aisled basilica, with strong brick walls, 0,90 m thick. Inside the church, above the narthex (portico), there is the women’s balcony, decorated with wooden railing and trellis. The iconostasis and the sanctuary doors are also wood carved. The convert contains a towering oak tree, called the tree of Panagia and believed to be a tree of miracles. The spring that supplies the nunnery with fresh water is considered miraculous, as well. The nunnery celebrates on 15th August and 21st November.

Similar and significant post-Byzantine Churches, with painted and carved decorations, can be found in the villages of the Municipality of Pella, and they are worth exploring. Such is the Church of Agios Georgios (1802) in Rahona, the Church of the Holly Apostles Peter and Paul (1867) in Pella, the Church of Agios Athanasios (1850) in Archontiko, the Church of Agios Athanasios (1870) in Paralimni, the Church Agios Athanasios (1700) in Pentaplatanos, the Church of Agia Paraskevi (1756) and of Agios Athanasios (1800) in Paleos Mylotopos, the Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul (1790) in Agios Loukas, and the Melkite Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul (1866) in Giannitsa.

Location: Lakka village.

Tel: 23810 97357



Contact us

Please make sure reCaptcha v3(invisible) is enabled or reCaptcha secret/site key is valid.